Wednesday, March 5, 2014

$20 well spent

A very lovely thing happened today, so I thought I'd share.

____________________________________________________

Pips and I were out for a walk this afternoon.  As we were walking by a subway station, an old woman approached us and asked for a token or change.  I did my usual jerky "sorry, don't have any" and made to move on, but she was rather persistant.

So, I looked for a token to give her.  As I was looking for a token, she told me her pension had stopped because she hadn't filed her taxes, but she had just filed them and it would be starting back soon, but she was just in a bad place.  She also showed me this massive bag of broccoli that she got for $1 (it was starting to turn).  She said she's cook it with butter and maybe a potato and she'd be fine.

I didn't have a token, but I gave her what I had - and that was like $0.40.  Not much.  She said thank you and we parted ways.

But as I was about to turn the corner, something made me pause and look back.  A thought went through my head - drug addicts don't buy broccoli!  Now, I know there is a whole school of thought that says it isn't your business what someone does with any money you give them, but it rubs me the wrong way to give someone money for drugs or booze when they have addiction problems.

And I started to feel guilty.  I did have my bonus $20 in another part of my wallet afterall.  You know the $20 you keep because you run on very little cash and there are times you need a bit of cash money?

So I went after her and handed her the $20.  And lo!  I think she was overwhelmed for a bit.  She said "PRAISE JESUS!  Jesus brought you to me!" - and I have to wonder - maybe He did.  She said Jesus would bless me for this, and I replied that He already had, giving me my baby.

Really, I would probably waste $20 in the blink of an eye, it's not that big a deal - I don't want this to come across as me thinking I'm so generous or anything.  At church you always talk about helping others, and here was an easy opportunity for me to do so.  She clearly needed a little bit of help to get by.  She even said "It's not for drugs!" at one point, and I was like "I know!"

We hugged.  And I tell you, I had the BIGGEST smile on my face the whole way home.  It was really moving, her response.  And it kind of makes you wonder - what did make me pause and turn back to her?

All in all, I think I got my money's worth!  Nice way to start lent!  :)

2 comments:

  1. what a great way to start lent!
    Sometimes a little charity goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Appleseed grows

Lilypie Maternity tickers