I loathe the use of dryer sheets. They are bad for you.
There are plenty of articles out there how bad they are for you. Some fun highlights:
- Contain fiberglass! Like..as in fiberglass is as bad for you as asbestos? Yes, that fiberglass.
- Contain cocktail of toxic chemicals!
- As always, synthetic fragrance screws with your endocrine system, linked to birth defects, bad for your ENDOMETRIOSIS, etc.
Do you know the young infant uses scent to identify Mommy? But if everyone smells "mountain fresh" or some such nonsense, that isn't going to work very well!
So I went to war on the scent in these baby clothes.
- HOT wash with lots of Borax, Washing Soda, Laundry Detergent + Baking Soda - soaked 2 hours in this
- Rinse WARM, loads of vinegar, soak for 1 hour in that
- 2nd rinse WARM + Vinegar, 9 drops lemon essential oil, soak overnight
- 3rd rinse WARM + vinegar
- 2nd wash HOT, same as above + 20 drops lemon essential oil, soak all day
- Rinse WARM + vinegar
- 2nd rinse WARM, out of vinegar by this time
So they are quarantined. Thankfully, a friend also gave us a load of clothes - and she uses unscented soap. It is like heaven. No smells!
I think I will try airing them outside on the line if we get any sunny days soon. But...my hopes are not high. I've been told by my Aunties it takes a LONG time to dissipate. Clearly the "just wash it with vinegar" stuff you read on the Internet is bunk. And I don't quite understand why essential oil would help, but I thought it can't hurt - but so far no dice.
Why can't we all just use dryer ballz and get along? My Aunt gave them to us as part of our wedding gift. They are super awesome. Clothes are soft. Nothing to throw out and waste space in garbage with. Cost effective. Easy-peasy.