Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

So I was at DH's family's on the weekend, and his youngest-uncle's-wife was showing me pictures of her great-nieces - (fraternal) twins.  Turns out they are "test tube babies" as he said - which I take to mean IVF.

So we're talking about IVF in Hong Kong vs Taiwan, how expensive it is ($200 000 HKD!), and how Taiwan has better technology, etc etc, and I realized - wait - I am having this discussion like I normally have it, pretending it doesn't apply to me, but they actually do know we're IF and it does apply to me! They are telling me all this because they think I should/will eventually do IVF.  But we don't want to.  But we haven't really discussed our IVF policy with DH's family, they just know we've been trying.

And I'm also thinking - Oh, good thing DH's cousin Kay will be doing IVF in Taiwan not HK - but then I have to remember I don't think that is public knowledge, and not to let it slip.

So I felt very turned around they all this truthing/untruthing.  I don't like all this lying I do normally when I breezily say, "Oh, maybe we'll have kids next year, after we're done our reno" (have said this for two years now) - but sad fact is, I can't actually say that 'we're trying' without tearing up, and it just isn't appropriate in most circumstances.  Like I even leaked a few when I told Dr Nora, who is a medical professional, and probably assumed that is why I was there anyway.

So that is my story.  I hope IF we ever catch, I can be brave and shout from the rooftops how long it took us, and how painful that was - but I'm not sure I will be able to. 

So I will leave you with a link to the youtube video you've probably already seen (I know I've seen it at least 5 times), but it makes me cry (like in an "Aw that's so beautiful!" way) every time!  (Like, I pretty much cried for 5 minutes when I watched it on the weekend, gearing up for my cousin's wedding coming up this weekend!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

Oh!  And HUGE congrats to Tishi on the birth of her new baby girl Sadie!  Can't wait to hear the birth story!

1 comment:

  1. I had a former student help me at school today and I tried my best to skirt around the whole baby issue. At Ste. Anne spa last week the esthetician made a crack about how being a teacher is the best birth control -- yeah right!

    I don't know how I will handle it when I finally shake this IF business, I just hope to get to that point!

    ReplyDelete

Appleseed grows

Lilypie Maternity tickers