I am so lucky and happy to be married to my darling husband! Happy 3rd anniversary honey! xxoo! I stole this from JB - I think it is a cute thing to fill out. :) Thanks, JB! 1.
Where/how did you meet: We met at a friend's house shortly after I moved back to Canada. My high school friend (one of only a few I'm still in touch with) and his dragon-boating buddy are married, and had a dinner party with both of us over.
2. How long have you known each other: Since November 2006.
How long after you met did you start dating: Quite a while - the four of us (DH, me, high school friend and dragon boating buddy) we on a curling team together that winter, and we only started dating after curling season was done - we had a season to get to know each other and start to flirt.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged: ~2 years
5. How long was your engagement: 9 months
6. How long have you been married: 3 years
7. What is your anniversary: 09-26-09
8. How many people came to your wedding reception:220!
What kind of cake did you serve: Cupcakes made by Feather and entourage. YUM! (We even had some Vegan ones!)
10. Where was your wedding: Knox United in Scarborough, Ontario. Cute church, close to our venue, carpet matched the bridesmaids dresses (I kid you not), but in retrospect if we had already starting going to our church it would have been a lot more special to be married there by my own minister.
11. What did you serve for your meal: 10 course traditional Chinese wedding buffet. The first course, as is traditionally done in Cantonese circles, was suckling pig with glowing eyeballs, which the waiters paraded out with the lights down low. It made quite an impression on my relatives! :)
How many people were there in your bridal party: 8. 4 ladies, 4 gents. My ladies were my #1 cousin, Feather, and two ladies from University I was (/am) so close with. DH had 4 friends.
13. Are you still friends with them all: I'm still friends/related to all my ladies. Two of DH's groomsmen we are no longer friends with. :(
Did you or your spouse cry during the ceremony: Oh yeah, I was a total mess. My Dad drove us to the Church, and we got in the car he started playing "Going to the Chapel" because he remembered I have always wanted to hear that song as I was going to the chapel to get married - well, the water works started and didn't stop for quite a while. I had to re-do my makeup at Church, and hang out a bit in the basement while I pulled it together. I was just so happy and over excited!
Most special moment of your wedding day: My cousin and a good friend sang "Lo, How a Rose" during the service a capella, I loved it and was quite touched (and obvi cried).
Any funny moments: Lots! In particular, they made me play this game where I had to guess DH's bum from a lineup of boys (I was blindfolded). Games are common in Chinese receptions. Well, it was hilarious. I had to say why a particular bum was incorrect, and I tried to get creative with my responses! Haha - was my face red when I realized how many of the bums of my guy friends I have now felt up!
Any big disasters: Nothing too huge - my makeup didn't look quite how I wanted it to look, it did rain a bit (which is ok, that is good luck), my hair didn't turn out quite how I wanted, DH's best man was a bit rude, but no huge disasters.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon: Resort in Mexico.
19. How long where you gone: 7 days
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change: I would have done my own makeup, I would have been more clear about how I wanted my dress, I would have made the bridesmaids dresses easier, I would have been more clear about my hair, I would have had a different photographer....little tweaks, nothing major.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on: the left
22. What size is your bed: Queen
23. Greatest strength as a couple: We share a lot of the same family goals.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple: IF... and that I kinda want to live on a commune.
25. Who literally pays the bills: me!
26. What is your song: We don't really have one. If pressed, I'd have to say the theme song to True Blood. Every time we watch it I sing it to DH, but I change "I want to do bad things with you" to "I want to do good things with you"
27. What did you dance your first dance to: We did not have a first dance. It was our wedding and both of us aren't huge dancers, so we just didn't do that.
28. Describe your wedding dress: I had 3 dresses. My white dress I had custom made. I was inspired by Porche de Rossi's dress when she married Ellen, I wanted something similar, but with a slightly different top. It had a HUGE tuile (?) skirt and had over the shoulder...oh, here is a pic (me and one of my bridesmaids), I am not describing it well. Recently a colleague's wife remarked that she really loved my wedding dress (and she is fancy and has gone to many fancy weddings), so that really brightened my day (yes, 3 years later!).
I also wore a cham-sam, which is a traditional Chinese modern wedding dress. I had that custom made too, instead of a huge slit up the side (common), I had it flow out a bit to cover my big hips. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the seamstress made it with a default little tummy for me, but I didn't have one! During our tea ceremony I had on a quai, which is a traditional dress for the tea ceremony. I borrowed DH's sister's. It is quite pretty. Um... I still haven't given it back yet!
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding: White roses.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? Yes. The date (can't forget!) and our last name "Taai taai" which is wife in Cantonese. :) Like if our last name was Chen, my ring says CHEN TAAI TAAI 09-26-09.